Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Wrinkles and Age-Spots


I love Tuesdays right when 2:45 gets hit by the hands on the clock. Two things happen; my boring class ends and I get to see all the elderly people walk through the halls of the Hiemenga Hall building. I do not know exactly why they are there on Tuesdays but I have a little hunch. I think they all take classes or workshops or seminars of some kind. When the clock hits 2:45pm I walk up the stairs to first floor since my class is the basement and I go directly to the restroom. I always have to go to the bathroom after that class...haha. On my walk there all of the elderly talk about the lecture they went to while holding a folder in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other. That hallway that has the restroom and coffee/cookie bar smells of Grandma's, Grandpa's, old friends, and black coffee with sugar. I never miss the chance to look at their faces or the clothes they were. I love to see who they are even though I can only tell on the outside. How old are they really? What have they seen that I haven't yet? What do we have in common? Are those wrinkles a gift from stress or the bright sun in the summer? Which ones lost their wife or husband? I wonder what their stories are, the battles they fought. As I get out of my class of learning so do they. I'm captivated by them. I know they have stories of defeat and love. I know they once were something so grand. I know they had to achieve something. But maybe not. Maybe their stories are thin. I'm not sure. I am curious to find out what defeats I will face and what love I will feel. I am in complete Aw that I one day will be walking around in my old age passing the younger crowd. They will look at me and see all my wrinkles and age-spots. I will be not under a microscope like I am now to my peers but I will be put on a pedestal for a split second in the mind of the younger ones. If that is the future I cannot sit here and complain about life. I cannot sit still when adventure is at my hands. I cannot be dull or angry at things that don't matter next week. When I am old I better have a story that backs up my wrinkles and age-spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment