Thursday, January 26, 2012

reconnecting

This past January I've been adjusting to my other life. It hasn't been totally normal, yet. But started next week I will experience my life for the next 4 months. Anyways, this past month I put the brakes on heavy thinking, being theological, having much to say, and really making an effort to adjust in a fast pace. What did this January look like then? I was just experiencing life and not adding so many complications or added stress. It was a break. I break from all the worries and extreme cares in the world. I sometimes battle between this state and then being overly stressed. I haven't found the middle ground, though I think this semester I will try.
I miss Spain but I didn't realize how much I missed this part of my life. The relationships I have with people that mean a lot to me. Reconnecting is a weird concept nowadays. We think we can reconnect via texting, calling, facebook or even skype. None of those really cut it, do they? We find ourselves a bit more empty from the person then we did before we talked using those forms of communications. I noticed that your personal face to face encounters with people tell you the truth. How close you really are. A relationship isn't build through the web or cell phone connections. Its the mundane talks. The moments where nothing is said for hours but you are still together. Its getting out of your busy and distracted mind and really focusing on the person's words. The moments where you notice they pay attention to not just your words but your minor actions. 
I do think that the web and cell phone interactions are useful and good but they are abused and misused. So many of my friendships are kept up through facebook or texting. I hate it. I can't tell if they are truly happy or sad. How I'm I suppose to be a better friend to you when the only way we communicate is through facebook or texting? How I'm suppose to bond with you. I guess this comes down to the fact that I am 100% more into having quality time then anything else. Although, for my friends that live in different countries, technology has made it possible for me to communicate with them on a daily basis if I wanted to. That's a perk but I'm still more of a quality person.
After being away from home for three years I have noticed what relationships have really matured and what ones are still hanging on. I'm talking about the friendships that I have in California. I can see the tears in the thread the held our relationship together. The people that are good communicators have been there...but the ones that aren't. The ones that say they are busy and that's why they haven't called much. Who say we are still best friends but actions really don't reflect that.
I think in a way things like facebook have decreased communication. It's just easier to ignore or to give the person enough reasons to not make a bigger effort.
On my birthday so many people wrote on my facebook wall. Though the ones who sent me a warm text or a phone call meant way more. My 21st birthday...

No comments:

Post a Comment